The Graduate Minor in Cinema/Video Production allows graduate students to explore creative and expressive possibilities of single-camera electronic cinematography and provide them with an understanding of the aesthetic issues involved with cinema/video production. The minor emphasizes the practice of moving image art-making through creative projects. This program provides a comprehensive study of the varieties of cinema/video expression and the dramatic structures underlining the practice of this art.
Program Advisor: Janet Parrott
The minor requires a minimum of four courses and no less than 15 hours. A grade of B or better (or S when applicable) is required in each course comprising the minor.
There are no required courses for this graduate minor.
Students should complete the remaining credit hours to total 15 hours for the minor from the Electives listed below.
- THEATRE 5321 Video Production 1 (3)
- THEATRE 5322 Editorial Process (3)
- THEATRE 5323 Video Production 2 (3)
- THEATRE 5331 Screenwriting (3)
- THEATRE 5341 Studies in the Documentary (3)
- THEATRE 5189 Field Work (1-3)
- THEATRE 5193 Individual Studies (1-3)
- THEATRE 7189 Field Work in Theatre, Cinema, Video (1-12)
- THEATRE 7311 Advanced Moving Image Art (3)
- THEATRE 7312 Screen Media (3)
- THEATRE 8000.03 Advanced Studies: Video (1-5)
- THEATRE 8193 Individual Studies (1-5)
- In conjunction with their advisors, graduate students should determine the appropriateness of pursuing a graduate interdisciplinary specialization or graduate minor and how best to incorporate it into their program of study.
- Interested students should schedule a meeting with the Minor Program Advisor, Janet Parrott, to discuss their goals for the minor and select appropriate coursework.
- Once a student has identified a list of courses to fulfill the minor requirements, they should submit a Minor and Graduate Interdisciplinary Specialization form in GRADFORMS. The coordinator of the minor/GIS will be notified to review the application, and the student’s advisor will receive an email notice that the student submitted the form. Any changes to the approved coursework after this step has been completed must be approved by the minor program.
- Upon completion of the graduate minor program, the student must submit the Transcript Designation Request through GRADFORMS.