Plan Ahead

Carefully planning your coursework is critical to your success as a student. Your advisor can help you make strategic decisions when selecting classes, review your progress toward your degree, provide guidance to help you navigate the university's policies and services, and identify academic and university resources important to your success. Always plan ahead when scheduling an advising appointment, particularly during peak advising times when advisors may be booked several weeks in advance. We recommend you meet with your academic advisor once a semester to keep you on track.


Academic Advisor

The College of Arts and Sciences assigns all of its students an academic advisor. They are here to help you select courses, identify special academic and career opportunities, meet graduation requirements, understand university policies and procedures, and access campus support services.

The academic advisor for majors in theatre and minors in theatre, musical theatre, video arts, and media production and analysis is Ryan Heitkamp. His office is in 100 Denny Hall, but he also holds drop-in hours in Drake Perf & Event Ctr two half-days a week. Call (614) 292-6961 or email to schedule an appointment.

The academic advisor for majors in film studies and moving-image production and minors in film studies and screenwriting is Emily Carpenter. Her office is in 355 Hagerty Hall. Call (614) 292-8485 or email to schedule an appointment. You can also book an appointment online at

In addition to an academic advisor, undergraduate majors are encouraged to speak to faculty, who are available for advising undergrads on big-picture questions about career planning, seeking internships, and connecting to theatre and film in the Columbus community. 

University Honors Advising

Honors advisors provide advice on your university Honors Contract. Honors Office counselors can assist you with procedural matters, information about degree requirements, an Honors Thesis, and other special honors opportunities.

Common Advising Matters

Below are links to some common advising matters. Advising and Academic Services provides comprehensive advising information.

Declare A Major

Information on when to declare a major, how to declare a major, and what questions you should ask can be found on the College of Arts and Sciences Website.

Buckeye Link

Your academic center for information about your academic record is Buckeye Link. View the university's schedule of classes, plan a schedule of classes, register, add/drop a class, see your grades, view your class schedule, view your statement including financial aid, print an advising report, get your degree audit report (DARS), request a transcript, access Carmen, and more.


Policies, and processes for all your scheduling questions including registering, adding, and dropping a course.
Add a class information - Add
Drop a class information - Drop

Degree Audit Reporting System/DARS

See how your completed courses satisfy both general and major area course requirements. Access DARS through Buckeye Link, Enrollment and Academic History.

Academic Status

Information on academic status, academic dismissal, reinstatement, Freshman Forgiveness, Fresh Start, and more. Students who are struggling in a class are encouraged to discuss their difficulty with the course instructor. Academic advisors are also available for assistance in identifying appropriate resources.


Ensure you have information on deadlines and policies so that your graduation plans go smoothly.